As I was taking down our Christmas decorations and rearranging the formal living room furniture, I happened upon this deceased little creature.
Is it a mouse?
Edward Cullen?
Close...it's a bat.
Just a FEW of the many questions I asked myself:
Where did it come from?
The front door?
A window?
Our plastic tree kept out in the garage?
Our piano?
The chairs from Grandma Ginny's house?
Why didn't we/or Isobel smell it?
Certainly with my heightened sense of smell during pregnancy I would be able to smell a rotting bat carcass. What else am I not smelling?
How long has it been there?
I began cleaning and decorating the room the day after Thanksgiving-and there was no bat at that time.
Did I just miss it and it's been there for months?
Rigor had set in but its fur and ears appeared to be in good shape. However, the tail was very brittle and it felt hollow inside. We made sure we handled it with disposable plastic gloves.
You never want to touch a bat-dead or alive.
Needless to say, I sanitized every inch of the room that I could and I'm currently sleeping with one eye open and checking underneath beds, and throughly examining any other piece of furniture I can to ensure a good nights sleep.
P.S.
We didn't get rabies shots, but I did pee a little when I realized it was a bat-but I'm chalking that up to being 8 1/2 months pregnant. The pressure down there is unbelievable!
P.P.S
Please don't be afraid to come visit us!













2 comments:
I would like to see two new labels created for future posts pertaining to this. Here are my tag suggestions:
"rotting bat carcass"
"sleeping with one eye open"
Oh my gosh! I was laughing so hard while reading you post! Do you guys have a chimney? If so, that's your answer, I'd bet. We get the chimney swept each year before it gets too cold. At my Mom's the one year they skipped the whole sweep thing they got a couple of furry guests that moved in, died, and totally stunk up Christmas! Hope you can sleep with both eyes closed soon...cause in a month you won't be sleeping much at all :)
Post a Comment