Let me be the first to say, it's has been a long time since I have looked forward to a Saturday night down on 6th street, but it was so fun! My co-worker Britney and I planned a date night starting off with a quick bite at the Iron Cactus, and then a movie next door at the new and improved Alamo Drafthouse for the highly acclaimed, Master Pancake Theatre.
About 4:30, I jumped in my Tucson and made my 25 mile trek down Mopac, into the city, windows down, Bjork up...I wanted to walk around the warehouse district for a bit, so I circled around 5Th street a couple times in hopes of finding a decent place to park. I paid $5 to park in a creepy, urine-scented garage several blocks away from where we had planned to meet. After a few minutes I made it to 6Th and stopped to get a Sprite and watched a girl get a tattoo at the Littlefield Mall. Once I made it to the restaurant, Britney called to say she was running late, so I sat at the bar and had a conversation with a woman visiting from California. Total God thing: Turns out she was a Theology professor at a community college in Irvine, attends a church similar to Gateway-AND has a son named Justin!
Anyhoo, when Britney arrived, we sat on the roof and ate fajitas as the sun went to bed. Master Pancake Theatre is much like Comedy Centrals Mystery Science Theatre 3000: goofing on cheesy old movies. The only difference is, Alamo has hired 3 local comedians that sit in the front row of the theatre and goof on the movie live and in person. Tonight's feature was the 1968 version of Planet of the Apes starring Charlton Heston. Next week.....Roadhouse!
Sunday, April 27
Saturday Night-Austin Style
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comments:
You are cracking me up with the imagery of the garage.
Post a Comment