Jeremiah 29:11

.

Monday, September 27

Guilty Pleasure::Country Living Magazine

On the 20th day of each month, I eagerly wait at my mailbox for the Country Living magazine to arrive. The mail is delivered by 10am in my hood, so that just makes the day a little sweeter. Amazon had this stupidly insane subscription rate last Christmas: 1 year for $5. Originally $56. What.
If that*s not Jesus, I*m not sure what is.
Once that perfect plastic wrapped gift is in my hands. I hurry back inside the house. I sit down in the front room (the natural light highlights the pages better) with a sour cream donut, a cup of Constant Comment tea in my 1928 tea cup & describe every detail to Lo as I delicately turn the glossy pages.
I don*t even answer the phone.
Sometimes I think, "We*re waaaay ahead of ya Country Living" but mostly, I think, "Ugh! I*ve got to do that. Today."
Overall, I appreciate that Country Living strives to seek out folks, farms & families that insist on living slowly, & passionately filling their homes with their own unique tastes. There*s not much I appreciate more than individuality (& owning one of a kind finds.)
Decorating backward, yet forward. Not following the trends. No IKEA. & nothing resembling contemporary design.
Nerd Alert: After finishing the 2010 July issue, I said, "Bravo" out loud.

This month*s issue was a Halloweeny edition. I*m stealing these ideas this month:






You can find cheap black taper candles at any craft store. My local grocery stores sell 'em too.

As I swoon over the picture perfect 10 acre plantation style farmhouse tucked away in the hills of Kentucky with the beautiful garden filled with hydrangeas, I tell Lo (& myself)
it*s not where you live, it*s how you live & then thank God for our graceful 1,730 sq. ft. home deep in the heart of the Texas hill country.
Perpetually inspired, I'll continue to tweak my attempts to create a
Classic Austin-ish Farm-esque home.

0 comments: