Jeremiah 29:11

.

Monday, May 30

All About An ESTJ

Love reading personality profiles? So do I!
Don*t love reading personality profiles? Skip this post & do something far more productive.

You know:
Introverted v. Extroverted
Sensing v. Intuitive
Thinking v. Feeling
Judging v. Percieving

My sister would appreciate or giggle at my "Type."
I*m not sure if she knows that I*m an ESTJ, but over recent years she has described me almost verbatim, as the Myers-Briggs suggests.

ESTJs are very enthusiastic people who are driven to fulfill their obligations & duties, especially those towards their families. Their priorities generally put God first, family second, & friends third. They put forth a tremendous amount of effort to meet their obligations & duties, according to their priorities. They are dedicated & committed to their relationships, which they consider to be lifelong & unalterable. They like to be in charge, & may be very controlling of their mates & children. They have high esteem for traditions & institutions, & expect that their mates & children will support these as well. They have little patience & need for dealing with people who see things very differently from the ESTJ.

{Strengths}
  • Generally enthusiastic, upbeat and friendly
  • Stable & dependable, they can be counted on to promote security for their families
  • Put forth a lot of effort to fulfill their duties & obligations
  • Responsible about taking care of day-to-day practical concerns around the house
  • Usually good (albeit conservative) with money
  • Not personally threatened by conflict or criticism
  • Interested in resolving conflict, rather than ignoring it
  • Take their commitments very seriously, & seek lifelong relationships
  • Able to move on after a relationship breaks up
  • Able to administer discipline when necessary
{Weaknesses}
  • Tendency to believe that they are always right
  • Tendency to need to always be in charge
  • Impatient with inefficiency & sloppiness
  • Not naturally in tune with what others are feeling
  • Not naturally good at expressing their feelings & emotions
  • May inadvertantly hurt others with insensitive language
  • Tendency to be materialistic & status-conscious
  • Generally uncomfortable with change, & moving into new territories
Last week I read up on ESTJ*s as parents. As a new parent, I found this section particularly interesting & a little frightening!
Researching personality types have been an invaluable resource in my marriage & in my relationships with closest friends. If a conflict or a differing opinion or view leaves me puzzled, I can refer to the person*s personality profile to better understand them. I took the assessment just before I got married, about 5 years ago in my therapist*s office & it changed my life. It is said that your "Type" cannot change, but that you can overlap or fall "in between" in an area. For example, I was 2 questions off from being an ENTJ, so sometimes I may show a more emotional disposition.
Although, whichever type I fall into, I*m not naturally in tune with what others are feeling.

As fun as personality types are to dissect, I believe that God says who each of us are.
We*re not perfect. In addition to my spiritual gifting (find assesments online), I am happy He calls me His & that these tools are a fun way to help me in my quest to self-actualization.

God bless my saint-of-a-husband & a big thank you to those friends & family members for loving me where I am. Weaknesses & all.

Here are a couple of links that are similar to the Myers-Briggs:

Which one are you?

1 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Aww my fave ESTJ. :) By the way, love the new format! I can see this on my iPod! Yay! I'll tell myself that was just for me.