Jeremiah 29:11

.

Saturday, November 22

Birthday and fall fun in Gruene

Friday, my lovely mother-in-law, Diane and I took a day trip to Gruene, Texas for some early birthday fun. We started the day with a big pot of Earl Grey tea and lunch at the River House Tea Room.
The floral decor was so sweet and charming.
I hadn't visited Gruene since my single years before I met Justin. Back then, every Thursday I'd nearly pee my pants waiting around the local Thundercloud sub shop for the Chronicle to be delivered so I could read which of my favorite local country artists was performing at Gruene Hall that weekend. While the town hasn't changed much, boy have I! The streets are still quiet with every shop full of candles and rustic furniture, and the store clerks are as sweet as the candy they sell.
We strolled in and out of stores, as we followed behind the packs of blue-haired's dressed in their clever Chico's outfits and smelling of sandalwood.
Surprisingly, I was able to name the local Texas artists that was playing over the loud speaker in each of the stores. Not long ago, I would have been so proud of myself for knowing all the words to their ballads, or that I could have listed every song on their album. But I as listened along, I couldn't seem to identify with any of them. Attempting to give myself a little grace, I thought, well...times change I guess. However, near the end of our trip we walked into Gruene Hall
around 5 to hear Roger Creager's sound check- but I had to walk right out, because I almost threw up from the haze of cigarette smoke, and I forgot to bring my earplugs with me. I know...I know...I'm turning 25 folks, not 65. Although, I looked over at Diane, in her precious felt cowboy hat and she's snapping her fingers, doing a little dance-and suggests we call Stan and Justin to join us.
I giggled to myself and thought, Justin has probably just finished rubbing in a little lotion to his elbows and is pulling the electric blanket up over his head! At our last stop, we treated ourselves to a couple of sinful desserts back at the tea room before we headed back up 35. All in all, the weather was perfect, the food was delicious, and I enjoyed the luxury of goofing around and catching up with a wonderful friend.
Thank you Diane for graciously spending a beautiful day with me and for continuing to define that age is nothing but a number.

2 comments:

AnnaJ said...

What a WONDERFUL day!!

To him said...

Ahhhh, this is what a GOOD mother-in-law relationship looks like, eh? Nice!